Sunday, October 21, 2012

What is this blog all about??

I have decided to create this blog as sort of a journal of my adventures as a pastor's wife.  Those of you that know me well are probably laughing as you think of me being a "pastor's wife" .  For those of you who don't know me and you are hoping to gain some serious wisdom from this blog, you might want to stop reading now.  It will most likely be a waste of your time.  I am not trying to be your Bible or daily devotional.  This is just a place for me to write down my experiences and thoughts.  I totally understand if you are not interested.  As I mentioned earlier, it is kinda like a journal for me and I am willing to share it with anyone who cares to read it.  I am really new to this "pastor's wife" thing, and I have a feeling it might be quite comical at times.  At other times, it will be sad and frustrating.  But most often, I hope, it will be life changing as God is still working on me.  I can't wait to see hearts and lives change as God shows up and shows out in our church and community.  I am honored to humbled that He would choose to use my family to help build His kingdom.  
You may be wondering "how did this happen?"  Well, since you asked, let me explain.  My husband Joey has been a youth minister for 18 years.  (yes, he married a MUCH younger woman).  God has been moving in Him in a new way the last few years.  We both knew that it was time to leave our current place of service, but we weren't sure where and what we were supposed to do.  As we were seeking God during this time, He showed so many cool things and allowed us to meet some really amazing people.  Maybe I will share some of those particular things here later.  Besides being the wife of a full-time minister, I am also the mom of two ridiculously awesome boys and I teach health science in our local public high school.  I love, love, love all of these ministries.  Selfishly, I did not want to leave my job and I didn't want my oldest son to have to leave his school and friends.  As I look back on the whole experience, I am afraid I was a stumbling block to my husband as he was seeking God's will for our family because of my selfishness and lack of faith.  As time went on, I realized that I had to be open to what God wanted for us, and that may not be comfortable for me.  I came to a place where I was ready to go wherever He wanted us to go.  We asked God to only open the door where He wanted us to go because we were afraid that we might go somewhere in haste on our own.  We also asked Him to give us an opportunity to serve Him in a way that we couldn't do what needed to be done.  We are so tired of everything we did being within our "scope of practice"(from the medical world- sorry!  I am also a nurse!) We wanted to see things happen that only He can do.  After searching for opportunities all over the country and seeing doors closed one right after another with no logical reason, we were getting frustrated.  But, after a year and a half, I believe that once I let go, God revealed His plan for us.  And amazingly enough, it was right here in the city where we live.  My son would not have to leave his school and his friends, and I would be able to continue teaching.  It is almost like He was waiting for me to be willing to go before He blessed us by allowing us to serve right here.  It makes me think of Abraham and Isaac.  When Abraham was willing to take Isaac to sacrifice him to the Lord out of obedience, God provided the ram.  Crazy as it sounds, I believe this opportunity is our ram.  What makes me so sad is that I wonder what kind of blessings we have missed because of my delayed obedience, which is the same as disobedience.  God has forgiven me for this, but I can't help but wonder.  Another crazy thing- remember I said we prayed for something we couldn't do on our own?  What were we thinking????  He calls us to a church where Joey will be pastor!!  Hellur???  This was never on our radar!  But isn't that what we asked for?  Not only does this mean that the guy who wears flip-flops while preaching  and whose idea of dressing up means wearing "long pants" is gonna be the lead pastor of a church, but I will be the pastor's wife!?!?!?  God certainly has a sense of humor!  I do not know how to be a pastor's wife!  I am not the one who has it all together or whose kids always behave (I am the one who carries the big purse so the spanking spoon fits in it).  I do know that I will love Jesus and the people, and I hope that's enough.  I am going to share some more of my thoughts about what He has called us to do in the next blog, but I do ask for your prayers as we begin this crazy journey that He is allowing us to be a part of.  I can't believe He is going to let us serve Him in this capacity.  I am so thankful that He is allowing us to work for and with Him despite my faithlessness and disobedience.  He is such an amazing Father who loves us unconditionally.  I am thankful that His ways are higher than mine, and He works all things out for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.  He truly does give us the desires of our hearts when we delight in Him.  However, when we delight in HIM, most of the time the desires of our hearts change.  Isn't that just like our God?  When He shows up, everything changes!!  Well, here we go- I can't wait to see what He has in store!!!

Until the next entry, 
Flipflop Pastor's wife

3 comments:

  1. So very happy and proud of you too! Waiting and expecting great things with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Heather Tucker and I'm so glad you're my flipflop pastor's wife and one of my very best friends. Looking forward to this amazing journey. And yes... "when He shows up, EVERYTHING CHANGES."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, Heather! I love your spirit and your faith. You have touched thousands of lives at your school and will impact many more at your church. Like I told Joey, the first time I heard him speak seven years ago, I thought, "He will be in the pulpit someday." So glad we had the chance to see it happen. Thanks for your encouragement to me...it means the world.

    ReplyDelete