Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Spiritual Wisdom from Madea

There are 2 kinds of people reading this right now.  Some of you are already judging me because I put the words “Madea” and “Spiritual” in the same title.  The rest of you are only reading this because the name “Madea” is in the title.  No matter the group into which you fall, I hope you’ll allow me to explain myself!  There are several things Madea says that I think are worth repeating (and then there are several things I think you should get your mouth washed out with soap for repeating). 
One thing she says, and it took me many years to figure this out and I am still learning, is “Ain’t you a Christian?  That means you redeemed, right? Well, the Bible says let the redeemed of the Lord say so.  So when somebody is talking about you and trying to make you look like you less than you are, you say “so”!” Okay, so it’s not word for word (sorry, loyal Madea fans), but you get the point.  And yes, I know it’s totally taken out of context, but it actually makes a lot of sense! Sometimes I let things bother me so much that  I allow negativity to steal my joy.  I allow things that are not worth worrying about bring me down.  I have had to learn to decide whether or not the situation is really gonna make a difference when I get to heaven.  If it’s not, then I just have to say “so”!  If I let every little thing eat away at my joy, then there will be none left.  And Jesus did not give me this joy to let trivial things take it away.  Satan didn’t put it here, and I am not gonna let him take it away.  There are just some things that aren’t worth arguing about!  If it has no eternal significance, as Madea would say, “you just got to Let-it-go”. 
Another piece of wisdom we can gain from Madea is when she says, “It ain’t about what people call you.  It’s about what you answer to.”  Wow!  This is so true.  People are going to talk.  They just are. And being a minister’s wife, I know this all too well.  And I actually do pretty well when people talk about me. I guess being a school teacher, I sort of get used to it and I can ignore it!  However, I kinda go Madea when somebody talks about my husband or my children, especially when I know that what they are saying is completely inaccurate.  But I’m working on it!  I know God will reveal truth in His time, and He doesn’t need my assistance.
As long as I know the truth, and I know who I am in Christ, then let people talk.  I will answer to what God has called me to be.  He calls me His.  And that, my friend, is what I will answer to. So, my question for all of us is this, what do we answer to?  May we find our identity in Christ and answer to that name.  May we always remember whose child we are and who we represent with our words, our actions, and our lives.  May we one day hear those precious words, “Well done, my good and faithful servant”.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing an excellent job, Heather, being a preachers wife, mother, friend, "blogger".

    I have a long way to go, still, at being a Christian, I worry about what people think of me....But I know Jesus died for me and He Loves me and that is all that matters!!!

    Love you,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete