Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Am Not Underwear

Some days I feel like all I hear from my boys is, "I want, I want, I want".  I hear myself sounding like my mom saying "your wants won't hurt you".  She always said that to my sister and me when we were growing up and we were constantly wanting things. 
 There is a big difference between a want and a need- we all know that.  Remember when you were young and you were so excited about getting a present and you opened it up and it was socks or underwear?  As children, we open those gifts and shoot a forced fake smile to the one whose name is written next to "From:" on the gift tag and say "thank you". Then we ever so politiely say "next", hoping the next gift is a toy or at least something shiny.  We think of those things (clothes, underwear) as needs and we would rather move on to one of those wrapped up wants
As adults, we open up new socks or underwear and we are so excited that we can throw an old holy pair away and still have 2 pair! I can remember never wanting to get something as a gift to use to work until I discovered power tools!!!   Yes, as we get older we learn to appreciate that we have the things we need.  But, admit it- It's still nice to get those things we want.  When I think about this, I can't help but think about the fact that God doesn't need me.  Sometimes we think we have to serve because God needs us.  The truth is, God has everything He needs to do anything He wants, and He does not need us.  But the amazing thing is, He wants us!  It makes me feel special to know that the maker of the universe wants me!  He wants to have a relationship with me!  There is a difference between a want and a need.  We all especially enjoy getting things we want. I have to believe that God enjoys us coming to Him because He desires to be with us.  He WANTS us!
Everyone likes to feel needed.  But, to feel wanted is a whole different experience. 
My friend, I hate to burst your bubble, but you and I are not needed by our creator.  GOD DOES NOT NEED YOU!  The good news is, He wants you!!!  In God's eyes, you and I are not underwear!!!  We are His prize that He wanted!!!  Another reason to praise Him with our lives!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment