Sunday, January 13, 2013

I'm On a Boat!


If you’ve never had a rough week, you may want to avoid reading this post because it will probably make no sense to you.  For those of you who can relate to having some less than perfect days, you may continue.  This past week was a difficult week for me.  Let me admit in advance that I know it could be worse. Yes I have had worse weeks and I really do have a lot to be thankful for.  But, look, it still wasn’t my favorite week of all time, okay?  As a minister’s wife, I am probably supposed to say that everything is always great and days are always sunny and there are never any tough times.  Well, in previous posts I have already explained that I am not the ”Picture Perfect Pastor’s Wife”.  That’s another blog by someone else.  This is the “Flipflop Pastor’s Wife”.  So, moving along. 
A few months ago, God called us to a new ministry.  We knew there would be obstacles.  We prayed and had precious people praying for us.  We knew we were following God’s call on our lives.  There have been great times, and there have been not so great times.  But, God continues to be there through all of them.  He is faithful, even when my faith is weak. 
This past week, as I was having a “flipflop pastor’s wife’s pity party”, God, once again, spoke to me through His word.  While studying in Genesis the last couple of weeks, specifically the story of Noah, God has revealed some pretty cool lessons to me.  In a way I have never realized before, I am kinda like Noah’s wife.  You see, when Noah first began building the boat as God commanded, I’m sure his wife was a little nervous.  She probably even questioned what was going on.  But, she got on the boat.  Therefore, I assume she supported him and was his helper.  And I have a feeling when that first drop fell from the sky, she was pretty proud of her man.  “Oh yeah, that’s my man!  My hero!  I am so blessed to have Noah- thank you God for allowing me to have a REAL man who obeys you and trusts you. That’s MY man!”  Then, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down, and the floods came up, and… okay, you know the song.  But then, when the rain stopped, it was time to wait. And wait. And wait.  I am pretty sure it was stinking pretty bad in that boat by now.  She was probably getting tired of being stuck in a situation that seemed like it may never get any better.  She probably thought, “Alright Noah, what’s up with this? We are on the boat, the rain came and has stopped.  When is this water gonna dry up already?”  I can imagine her frustration with all the animals and the work that had to be done, but seemed futile.  And you know how women get when we haven’t had enough vitamin D!  But then, that day came.  The dove came back with the dry leaf!  Just as God had promised!  He has blessed Noah’s faithfulness.  Then, the dove left one day, and didn’t come back!  Blessed be the name of the Lord!! 
Genesis 8:1 says that ‘God remembered Noah’.  He did not forget him or forsake him.  And He won’t forget you or me!  Isn’t that great to know?  He doesn’t forget us!! I know that God is faithful.  I am excited for the day that the dove doesn’t come back!  I know it’s coming!  As a pastor’s wife, I want to be the one who is cheering her husband on even when the waters seem to be taking a long time to recede.  I’m still learning, but I want to be the one who trusts God even when everything around is stinking and a lot of work needs to be done.  I need to be reminded every now and then to get out of my pity party and get in the boat!  There’s nothing more beautiful than a rainbow!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Heather! I love your honesty and your heart. I, too, have long sense shed the 'picture-perfect disguise' and the charade that every day is rosey. It simply isn't, b/c of the earthly lives we lead. When you hurt you hurt, when you are sad, you are sad, but He sees and He knows. And on most days, that's all that matters because there will always be those who try to make you feel that they are worse off, and perhaps they are...but you are entitled to have feelings, too :)
    I love 'real' people because Jesus was authentic in His emotions. Stand strong, continue to love and support your husband, even on the most difficult of days, because that testimony in and of itself is incredibly powerful. Do not forget that! As wives, there is no substitute for the encouragement and support we can give our men, because the rest of the world would rather throw stones than show love. He called you all out for an incredible ministry and He's using you all to change the lives in the community. Remember, He is El Roi.

    ReplyDelete