Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hi, my name is Heather and I am insane.

As we embark on a new year, many of us have made New Year's resolutions that we hope we can keep.  Some of us have probably made some of the same ones we have made in previous years and have yet to figure out how to extend the motivation past the middle of January. Thinking about some of my past resolutions, I think several of mine have involved purchasing something with which to make my plans a reality, only to find those items collecting dust in a cabinet a few months later.  Whether is was an exercise machine that quickly turned into a nice clothing organizer or a blender that became a tool to make milkshakes rather than protein shakes, the good intentions turned into little more than unwise purchases and more items to add to my yard sale table.
So, what happens?  I mean, we have great reasons for creating our resolutions, and for a little while we have a passionate drive to reach our goals.  But what happens between January 1 and March 1 (okay, I admit, I rarely make it 2 months!) that causes our upward reach to become a nosedive?  I think it is because of insanity.  Yes, I think I am insane.  I seem to believe that I can achieve different results by doing the same things over and over again.  That is the definition of insanity, right?  What's up with that?  I want to get up early and exercise, I really do.  But, after about a week and a half of overcoming the pressure of the snooze button, I give in.  I press it.  And I like it.  And somehow in my feeble mind I think that maybe if I sleep faster maybe I can burn more fat cells and the exercise bike can have a break.
This year, I have decided I am not making any resolutions, but I do have a burning desire in my heart. My deepest desire this year is to be closer to the Lord at the end of 2013 than I am right now.  I want to know Him better and be more like Him.  We learn in His Word that when we delight ourselves in Him, He gives us the desires of our hearts.  I truly believe that if I delight myself in Him, He will not only change the desires of my heart, but He will change the heart of my desires.  My desires will be His desires, and His desires will be my desires.  And guess what?  I don't believe I have to drown myself in legalistic plans or programs to make this happen.  I don't even have to buy anything!  But, I do have to do my part.  I have to stay in His Word and get to know Him.  To know Him is to love Him, because He is love.  I just have to seek Him.  He takes great delight in us and He wants to be closer to us. I really believe that if we will just delight in Him, He will bless us by allowing us to be closer to Him and be more like Him. When we are more like Him, others will see His love and want to know Him.  He is contagious!
This is the beginning of a new year.  In the beginning, God created everything out of nothing. Let's allow Him to make something new with us. Will you join me this year as I delight in Him?   Let's allow Him to work out His resolution in us.  He doesn't need our help.  He made everything, and it was good.  He made you- and He makes everything beautiful. I pray that 2013 will be the year that we are blessed with the desires of our new hearts.

1 comment: