Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Luke's and the Lions' Den

  Luke and I love to gok-gok (rock in the rocking chair) and read stories from his Bible. After we read each story,  I ask him to "read" the story to me so I can see what he understands.  He loves doing that.  The other night we had been reading about Daniel and then I asked him to read it to me (Keeping in mind the previous story was about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego).   So he begins to "read" the story, and he says: "the mean king told Daniel to worship the statue every time he heard the music.  Daniel said he would not worship anyone but his God, because his God was the real One.  The king said 'I'll give you one more chance'.  But Daniel still didn't worship the statue.  So he threw Daniel into the fiery furnace with the lions.  And when the king looked in there, he saw 4 men in the lions' den.  And you know who the other one was?  It was God."  Then I looked back into Luke's bright, excited eyes, and said, "Really, it was God?"  And he said without any hesitation whatsoever, "Yes, God saved the day- AGAIN!" 
  Okay, so I admit, his recount of the story was a little confused- okay, alot confused- but he gets the big picture- God saves the day- AGAIN!  I know that at four years old he can't possible understand all the dynamics of every story in the Bible.  I am 36 years old and I still have questions.  But, if there is one thing I want him to know, it is that God loves him and that God is the one who can save the day!!!  It is not superman or spiderman, Santa Claus, or the president of the United States.  God is the only One who saves!  Scripture is full of instances where God was faithful and powerful, and His word is amazing!
  One thing I love about the stories of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and Daniel is that God could have kept them from the fire and the lions. He could have picked them up out of their situations and delivered them.  Instead, He allowed them to go into the furnace and the den, but He went with them!  This reminds me that God does let us go through difficult things sometimes.  He doesn't always keep us from those situations that seem so tragic.  But, He doesn't let us go through them alone.  He is right there with us.  And when we come out on the other side, we are usually better because we went through the difficult season.  Many times our faith is stronger because of it.  Other times He uses our tough situation to bring others to Him, just like He did through Daniel and his cousins.  God is faithful and His ways are higher than ours.  We may not understand why things happen, but we can know without a doubt that He is in control and His plans are for our good and His glory.  I would rather go through a difficult time with Him than through an easy time without Him.  You know why?  Because He is the One who saves the day- AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment